Friday, September 16, 2011

The 'dead girl' and the 'sick preggo' go on a cruise





A Cruise???? Seriously???? What was i thinking?????

Well I'll tell you what i WASN'T  thinking... that i would be ridiculously sick and pregnant with twins. nope, that thought NEVER crossed my mind way back in February when i signed up for this girls weekend cruise. i WAS however thinking this would be a great way to insure that i would see my friends from Florida sooner than later AND it would be a well needed break from the kiddos AND it would be a fun girls night out times 3. THAT'S what i was thinking. so all was bought and paid for when we found out i was carrying two times the cargo in my belly and that was the reason i was two times as sick. ooooooh boy!!!!!!!! after that news, as i imagined myself on the cruise with the combination of double (twin) nausea and sea sickness, i almost backed out... i could not imagine being able to enjoy myself at ALL. but i'm not one to let money go to waste like that and just prayed i could dig down deep inside myself and find a fake smile to plaster on my face.

so as I'm in my inner world of worrying about feeling terrible the whole time I'm on the cruise, i get a huge slap in the face wake up call reminding me what a wimp i am. two days before the cruise leaves i get the news that a fellow cruiser (in fact the birthday girl herself who put the whole thing together) went into cardiac arrest, literally died on the racquetball court and was brought back to life by her dad, her husband, a defibrillator, CPR and of course God. Monday she dies and is brought back to life, Wednesday she is getting surgery (a pace maker) and Friday she is home packed and ready to go on the cruise!!!!!! unbelievable!!!!!!

i thought,  if she could do it, then i could definitely do it! i mean how bad could it be? on the cruise we wouldn't have to cook or clean or run after kids, someone else would be doing all that. so maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all? maybe all sick and recovering people should go on cruises and be taken care of for a few days :) so i packed up my things and off i went on my girls weekend adventure.

my suitcase was stuffed with clothes because i wasn't sure what fit anymore and i was way too tired to try everything on before i packed it. my carry on was full of animal crackers, zofran, prenatals and tylenol pm. i thought it was going to be smooth sailing from there until i hit a few bumps along the way - first: the snaps on my leggings set off the metal detectors at the airport, soooo i had to be patted down. snaps??? really??? how lame!

 THEN: when we were checking in for the cruise they sent me and  roommate to the 'back office' (which was actually the break room) and made me call my doctor and have her fax over a letter stating how far along i was in my pregnancy. which really wouldn't have been that big of a deal but my husband was on the phone with the cruise line almost every night for a week checking and rechecking to make sure i had everything i needed (so i wouldn't be caught in a situation exactly like this one when i was trying to board) and not once did they mention that i needed that letter from my drn. plus i called my dr literally 30 seconds before they closed for lunch for the next 2 hours and shut off all the phones... so luckily my first call went through because i couldn't get through to the dr office again after that one phone call. it was a nerve racking 45 min waiting for that fax to come through, knowing i had no way of calling the dr office again if there was a problem. after that was all sorted we boarded the boat and the fun began.

i did mange to find my smile, eat a little, dance a little, sing a little, swim a little and laugh a lot despite the insane nausea :) i can't wait to try another cruise when i feel better and then i can eat A LOT, dance A LOT, sing A LOT, swim A LOT and laugh even more! it was so nice being surrounded by such fun and amazing ladies and to remember what it's like to be silly little girls again. hopefully this girls cruise can become a new tradition through out the years and hopefully the 'dead girl' and the 'sick preggo girl' will be well and whole for the next voyage and the journal entry will have a whole new title :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment